Famed policed dog passes away in his partners arms

They had an incredible bond, having been through so  much together, and when it came time for Reno to move on his partner and friend Tim Nading was there to see him off.  Reno was 11 and worked as a police dog in Des Moines with Officer Nading from 2003 to 2011 when he retired.  He continued to live with Nading and his family  and “In retirement, he built a great bond with them, and he was their protector when I was at work,” Nading said.

Reno was best known for having survived 2 gunshot wounds early in his career.  While relentlessly chasing down a suspect who had already shot one man, Reno was himself shot by the suspect.  He continued to chase however, and in the ensuing gunfight between the suspect and police, he was accidentally shot a second time.  Despite having suffered a shattered vertebrae and kneecap Reno was back at work and stronger than ever just 4 months later.  The suspect was arrested and remains in prison.

For his efforts and dedication he and Nading received the police department’s distinguished service award, and Reno also was awarded a key to the city.  But that was not the end of Reno’s accomplishments.  In 2005  he and Nading were part of the Des Moines team that won the U.S. Police Canine Association National Championship. Then the following year, Reno was recognized as the police dog of the year at the American Kennel Club/Eukanuba National Championship.

When Nading came home last Wednesday afternoon he knew something was wrong.  “Normally, he greets me at the back door,” Nading said. “When I finally got to him, his eyes were completely glazed over. … He looked like he’d aged 10 years.”  After rushing him to the vet it was discovered that a soft tissue tumor had ruptured , and there was nothing that could be done to save him.  As is most fitting, Reno died in the arms of the man he spent his life with.

9 thoughts on “Famed policed dog passes away in his partners arms”

1. Bless you Reno….soar with the angels, you are a true hero. condolences to Officer Nading on losing your partner and your friend.

2. Officer Nading, my thoughts are with you. Nothing prepares you for the loss of your love.
    It has been 2 1/2 years since Lola (German Shepard also) left me. I think of her everyday, and thank God I was blessed with having known her.

3. Officer Nading, I am so very sorry for the loss of your best friend. I cannot imagine the pain since I have not experienced that kind of loss and am dredding the day I do loose my Gunr. To have that special bond is a gift and I would not give it up for anything. God bless you and your family.

4. May God comfort you and your family in your time of loss… I know especially how you feel, my father trained police dogs back when they were new to the forces… in the early 60’s and into the 70’s as well as tracking dos… bloodhounds. Those were our brothers and sisters as well!!! We were very well protected and taken care of as long as they were there whether Mom or Dad were there or not… Lots of tears and broken hearts when we lost any of them… They served him well and his students served thier partners well. May you find peace knowing Reno is now out of pain and at ease…

5. Officer Nading, I know the pain all to well to loose a valiant partner and friend. Know this, Reno I am sure always gave his all. That is the true sign of a champion and devoted partner. Rest assured he will be there for you always in spirit and in your heart. Let him guide you as he always did to keep you safe. The thin blue line is better for his and your service. K9 Gunner.

6. Someone once told me that when you die, all the dogs you’ve ever loved in your life come rushing toward you. I choose to believe that and I smile knowing they are waiting ever so patiently as always.

I am so sorry for your loss.

7. Officer Nading, I am so sorry for your loss. You and Reno will reunite once again. God bless you and your family!