Family sets up lemonade stand to raise funds for their dog’s surgery

San Diego, California News Station – KFMB Channel 8 – cbs8.com

On Thursday night, the Yarbrough family, found their four-month-old dog Buddy on the front porch of their California home. Something was clearly wrong with Buddy. Buddy usually stays in the backyard and it was obvious to them that he was in pain. A visit to the vet revealed he had a broken leg and would need surgery costing $3700.

The Yarbough’s don’t have that kind of money to spend on the surgery. When the family sat down to try to figure out what to do their two young daughters Kali and Lily suggested a lemonade stand to raise the funds for Buddy’s surgery.

On Sunday, the family, led by 11-year-old Kali and six-year-old Lily, set up a lemonade stand. They raised $520 to put towards Buddy’s surgery. Their mother, Amber Yarbrough, admitted “I know we’re not going to raise $3700 today but any little bit will help.” If you would like to help Buddy and the Yarbrough family you can contact them via email at [email protected]

8 thoughts on “Family sets up lemonade stand to raise funds for their dog’s surgery”

1. That bill seems a little excessive! I would be checking around for future care! My dogs have found some creative ways to injure themselves over the years (car wrecks,tumors,stripped tail,falling in a swimming pool, 5lbs. Of baking chocolate one Christmas!, even cancer), but I have never gotten a bill like that before! And we have a wonderful vet! Good luck girls with your lemonade stand!

2. I would seek a second opinion. However I’m the mean time someone should set up a chip in fund for this surgery.

3. I too am shocked at the size of this bill. When I saw this on the news I checked around with some vet techs and the front office staff of my own vet’s office and they were very surprised. If this was an emergency clinic that was demanding this money up front I guess I wouldn’t be surprised at that because after hours emergency vets know perfectly well that people have no choice and they charge what they think the traffic will bear and use emotional leverage to get it.

These people should find a vet that accepts Care Credit or apply to some of the foundations that grant vet care assistance to people who cannot afford it. Their vet should be providing some of that financial assistance info but I guess if their vet is all about milking the situation they wouldn’t want to wait for their $$.

4. Unless the leg is shattered, I see no reason for the excessive amount. Get a second opinion. So what are they doing for the dog now? How are they managing the pain? Poor thing. Put the surgery on a credit card and worry about it later. Most Vets will let you have a payment plan.

5. I find that the bills in California are higher. You could check into Credit Care perhaps? There are also some grant programs. I would suggest to anyone who wishes to donate that they donate the money directly to the vet if the vet allows. It just prevents any misunderstandings down the road.

I do wonder how the dog was injured? Did he get out of his yard? Was the family looking for him?

One of the most important things we can do as pet guardians is do our best to keep our dogs safe. Of course despite our best efforts things do happen that we can’t foresee or prevent, but I personally find that doing my best up front helps me to deal with anything beyond my control. So if this dog wasn’t in a fenced yard, I’d see about getting it fenced or securing the gate or doing whatever it took.

Hoping for a complete recovery and that this dog is kept safe from now on.

6. Okay so my guess is the $3700 estimate is for a board certified veterinary surgeon to do the surgery. Not your typical regular practice veterinarian. I work at an ER clinic that also has specialist available during the day. Specialists that regular vets refer to all the time because they feel something is beyond their comfort zone to handle. Yes we do have bills that high. But it’s not just for the surgery. It’s the surgery, anesthesia, cost for the pet to stay at least a day to recover sometimes longer, medications, having a staff there my guess 24/7, initial xrays, post op xrays, follow up appointments and xrays to make sure everything is healing properly. Also please take into account what it takes to keep a vet clinic regular, ER or specialty up and running. Yes it stinks when our pets get sick or injured. But compare it the cost of human medicine. Vets are cheap in comparison

7. It all depends on how the leg is broken. If has to be fixed by a specialist that price does not shock me at all. If the bone is shattered as opposed to a clean break that changes everything in how it is fixed. And just so everyone knows, yes a vet is a doctor but they do not make money like the doctor you and I see for ourselves.