On July 5th, 2013, a 2-year-old Staffordshire named Indy, was found wondering the streets of Van Nuys, Calif. He was badly injured from what seems to be a cruel July 4th fireworks prank. Indy was found with third-degree burns over half of his body.
When the dog was found on the streets, he was taken to East Valley Animal Shelter and on July 9 S.T.A.R.T Shelter Transport Animal Rescue Team stepped in to save Independence – Indy for short.
Veterinarians believe that fireworks were strapped to the dog’s body and then lit.
“It was a deliberate and horrific act. It was done out of malice,” S.T.A.R.T. Rescue co-founder Rene Ruston told NBC Los Angeles. “It’s hard to see a dog like that in so much agonizing pain and he doesn’t deserve it.”
According to Dr. Daniel Slaton, fire from the fireworks went down Indy’s legs. The dog tried escaping the strapped pyrotechnics but as he walked, he burnt the bottom of his feet.
Indy is currently being cared for at Westlake Village Animal Hospital. Dr. Richard Grossman, well-known burn specialist, founder of the Grossman Burn Center, and animal advocate, was called in to help with Indy’s surgeries. Indy is expected to stay at the hospital for approximately six weeks to repair the extensive damage caused to his body and legs.
Indy is expected to recover from the burns. Sadly he will be left with some disabilities and will need rehabilitation. Eventually he will recover and move into a forever home where he will be loved unconditionally.
S.T.A.R.T. is offering a $1,000 reward for the arrest and conviction of those who injured Indy.
To follow Indy’s road to recovery, visit S.T.A.R.T Rescue Facebook page. Warning, there are graphic images of Indy’s injuries on the page.
If you would like to help Indy you can make an online donation or mail a check to:
PO Box 4792
Valley Village, CA 91617
Donations should be sent as “Personal and Gift” so no charges are taken out. Please write INDY in the memo.