Ice Rescue Captured on Camera

Two US border guards are being commended for saving the life of a stranded dog.

A passer-by caught sight of a large white dog clinging to a piece of ice in a partially frozen beaver pond on the US-Canadian border near Langely and called 911. The dog was about 300 feet offshore and exhausted. The RMCP responded, but could not act because the dog was on the US side of the border.

US border patrol guards arrived shortly thereafter. Two of the guards procured a small boat and spent 20 minutes chipping through ice to make their way to the dog. Once they had it secured it took nearly 15 minutes to reach shore. An amateur videographer was on the scene and managed to capture the entire incident.

The dog is said to be doing well, but its owner has not yet been identified.

9 thoughts on “Ice Rescue Captured on Camera”

1. If there was a bag of money floating on the US side they would of got it not matter what. Thank god the dog is safe

2. It looks like it took them forever to rescue that poor dog. It was painful to watch. I felt so cold just seeing the poor dog in the icy water. I am so glad that the dog was rescued. I hope that it gets back home or finds a really good home. Good job to all of those who pulled off the successful rescue.

3. Can anyone tell me if the poor dogs owners have been found? if not, does anyone know where the dog is?

4. Thank you Thank you Thank you! U. S. border guards ROCK! All that matters is that we give thanks to another human for helping an animal!. Thanks to the Canadian side of the border, Thanks to the U. S. side of the border, it doesn’t really matter what country saved this dog just that humanity stepped in and forgot about the “barriers” in order to save a life.

5. Unfortunately it can matter about crossing the line. All it takes is one beauracratic idiot to cost someone a job or at least a reprimand. I am glad the dog was saved and hope he gets home.

6. Sadly, if the Canadians had crossed the border on their own it could have cost them a severe reprimand or their jobs. I would not have been surprised if they had done so had nobody been able to help.

7. It appears this is a great Pyr. I add my thanks and wish also that the Canadians would have immediately helped or vise verse if the US would have been first but the dog on the Canada side they would have. Shame on any discipline either side would incur if they did. I echo an earlier sentiment that if it was money, drugs border side wouldn’t have mattered. Now I hope the dog has found its home.