Richardson Firefighters save Family Pet

Life With Dogs is reader-supported. We may earn a small commission through products purchased using links on this page.

On Monday, Sept. 16, 2013, a family in Richardson, Texas, woke up to find their garage engulfed in flames. Unfortunately the fire claimed the life of one of the two family pets, but everyone else was unharmed.

Cleo catching his breath after being pulled from the fire.
Cleo catching his breath after being pulled from the fire.

According to NBCDFW, the family heard noises in the garage and when they opened the door to check, they were met with thick smoke and high flames.

Quickly, the family ran outside but their two basset hound dogs were trapped inside the home.

“Pets are part of the family, and for many people who don’t have children pets are their children,” Assistant Fire Chief Ed Hotz told NBCDFW.

When Richardson firefighters arrived at the scene they quickly contained the fire and entered the home to look for the pets.

Cleo, the surviving dog, was found semi-unconscious due to smoke inhalation. Once firefighters pulled him to safety, he was given oxygen using a pet oxygen mask.

The second family dog did not survive the fire.

Thanks to the oxygen mask Cleo is alive today. The dog was taken to a veterinarian and is expected to recover. He will soon be returned to his family.

 

2 thoughts on “Richardson Firefighters save Family Pet”

Leave a Comment