Dog News

Thermal Camera Helps Rescue Dog and Owner Stuck in Mud

by Katherine

Life With Dogs is reader-supported. We may earn a small commission through products purchased using links on this page.

On January 18, 2016, 67-year-old Martin Kay from Thornham Magna, UK, took his black Labrador Holly Blue out for a walk around 2:30 p.m. Unfortunately, the man took a wrong turn and got stuck in mud. He needed assistance getting out but with no one around to help him, he had no other option but to wait for someone to walk by. The elderly man spent seven hours stuck deep in the mud until help arrived. Thankfully, his loyal dog remained by his side, keeping him warm all that time.

Photo credit: The Daily Mail
Photo credit: The Daily Mail

Five hours later, a friend of Kay’s arrived at his house to pick him up. The friend was surprised to find the elderly man missing. and immediately contacted authorities for help.

While police arrived at the home, neighbors checked the usual walking routes they knew the pet owner takes, but neither of them were anywhere to be found.

A helicopter was dispatched to do to an aerial search, and because it was dark, rescuers relied on the helicopter’s thermal imaging camera. Thanks to that technology, a familiar four-legged silhouette lying on the mud was spotted around 9 p.m., and next to the loyal dog was Kay.

Mr. Kay and Holly Blue with their rescuers.
Martin Kay and Holly Blue with their rescuers.

“I don’t remember much about the rescue – the last thing I remember was that it was getting dark and then the next thing I woke up in hospital,” Kay told The Daily Mail. “I hadn’t walked that route for about two years and when I came across the mud, I tested the ground at the side and it felt firm, but as I walked into the middle the ground began to sink.

When the Kay got stuck he called out for help, but the area was desolate and no one was around to help him. He didn’t want to panic and his thought was to conserve energy because it was too cold. He later drifted into sleep while hoping to be found.

When rescuers arrived, Kay couldn’t believe he was safe. He held his rescuer’s hand tightly and wouldn’t let go, but had to, as his rescuers were also stuck. Back-up was called and soon Kay was placed in an ambulance and taken to the hospital.

No one suffered any serious injuries, and the hospital visit was just a precaution. Holly Blue was in excellent health too, and all she wanted was to get back home and be warm and safe next to her best friend.