On March 16, 2014, a North Stafford, Va., home caught fire around 3 p.m. Fortunately no humans were home at the time, but the two family dogs were trapped in the blaze and needed to be rescued by hero firefighters.
A neighbor smelled burning plastic in the air and called 911 to report a possible fire.
According to Fire and Rescue Deputy Chief Steve Weissman, when the Stafford County Fire Department arrived at the scene, they found heavy smoke and high flames coming from the two-story single family home.
For 15 minutes fire rescuers fought to control the flames and while part of the team hosed down the home, a rescue team entered the property to ensure there were no casualties.
The two pets, 5-year-old Smash and 8-month-old bulldog Dodger, were hiding on the second floor of the house. After being pulled to safety the canines were placed under pet oxygen masks to combat smoke inhalation.
When the homeowner arrived, she was happy to see both of her pets were uninjured. She kissed and hugged her dogs and thanked rescuers for their heroic actions.